Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Chinese Night!



Okay, since I have lots of catching up to do, these next few posts are going to be kind of short. So I'm not sure why but the past few weeks I have really been enjoying cooking. I like to cook in general, but don't do it very often cause I'm usually the only one eating my creations. Don't get me wrong, I usually make dinner at night for Mike and I...but he is such a picky eater that the extent of our dinners is spaghetti or tacos, or hawaiin haystacks. Not exactly "cooking" in my book. So last Tuesday I got the craving to make some Chinese food and decided to make a night of it and invite over the neighbors and my sister to enjoy it with me. Dinner consisted of homemade fried rice, won tons, and fortune cookies. It ended up being a lot of fun to make and eat together! The only picture I got was of the fortune cookies...not bad for my first attempt! They even had real fortunes inside them. Here is the recipe if you want to try!


Chinese Fortune Cookies

1 egg
1/4 c. sugar
2 tbsp. oil
2 tbsp. water
1/4 c. corstarch
1 tbsp. vanilla


Print out fortunes on small paper strips. To make cookies, beat egg slightly. Gradually add sugar and beat until very thick. Fold in oil. Mix cornstarch with water and a little egg mixture. Beat into remaining egg mixture.

Heat griddle to 350 degrees. Drop batter by heaping tablespoons onto griddle, forming circles. Cook about 5 minutes(really does take that long) until set and golden on bottom. Remove from heat.

Lay a paper on each cookie. Working very quickly, fold in half, then fan bottom edges toward each other. (**NOTE-I found that once you fold them, lay them over the edge of a bowl to cool. This way it helps form the shape without having to hold them in your hands cause they are very hot!) Cool and keep in airtight container. Don't cook too many at once, or they'll harden before you can shape them. (Makes about 18)



2 comments:

Yours truly said...

great job Nina those look great, I will definitely have to try those out sometime. I know how you feel about mike having to work all month long, Landon will only be home 10 days out of the whole month. So I guess we will just have to be single moms for the month of October. I hope everyone is doing good, we miss you guys.

Meredith said...

What a fun idea! I will have to try those sometime.