Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Day 7: Food Storage

Mike and I have felt for the past year that we need to get our food storage in order. So, slowly but surely we've been getting a few things here and there and now we're almost done with our 3 month supply of food and water. It's been kind of a daunting task figuring everything out-like what to store and how to organize it-but I found this great website that helped a lot. It's called http://FoodStorageMadeEasy.net. They have all sorts of ideas and checklists on their site. The best idea that I found there was to plan 10 days worth of meals out (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, drinks), list out all the ingredients needed and times them all by 9 to get 90 days worth of meals and there is your 3 month supply! After doing that I figured out exactly what I needed to buy and just get them when they come on sale!

On Sunday we also figured out our PROBLEM on where to store everything. Our pantry has been getting very crowded and our shed is full of other stuff, so we explored the house in search of a solution. We remembered that there was a crawl space under the house with access through our downstairs closet. We had peeked in there before, but never got down in there. After living here for TWO YEARS we discovered that we have a HUGE space underneth our house for storage!! (Silly us for not checking before) It even has a light down there and part of it has carpeting. So my project this week is to get everything organized and transfered down there!

1 comments:

Meredith said...

That's awesome! Colby and I are in the same pickle right now...trying to figure out where to put everything!