Thursday, February 25, 2010

Goodbye...for now...

Tomorrow I'm starting a Sugar Fast. No sugar or soda for THIRTY DAYS. UGH. I've been wanting to do this for awhile, but it's taken some time to gear myself up for it. My sweet tooth is going to be awful cranky for the next few days so I'm sorry in advance to anyone that gets in my War Path. Once I "detox" from the sugar though I'm hoping it won't be as bad!

At the start of the new year, I decided that I needed to change my eating habits and am trying to get healthier for 3 reasons:

1-Have more energy and feel better in general.
2-Lose some weight (down 3 lbs since Jan, 10 more to go for my target weight).
3-Hopefully getting healthier will help with the baby situation (aka-we've been trying for a year now).

So far I've started exercising 3x a week, switched to whole grain breads and pastas, am drinking more water, started taking some vitamin supplements and now I'm starting the sugar fast. I've decided it's much easier to change things one step at a time. That way I can focus on just ONE thing and once it becomes a habit, I add something new.

Wish me luck for tomorrow! And if anyone has any helpful tips or ideas, send them my way!! :)

4 comments:

April Celeste Garff said...

I've done the sugar fast, usually the month before a marathon. It's hard! I would recommend giving yourself one guilty pleasure (I usually go for hot cocoa/chocolate milk). You're more likely to keep it as a lifetime habit and not set yourself up for a binge.

Tyler & Rose-Ellen said...

Good luck! I think this is a great idea!

I kindof did this all last year, except I picked a limit- like I started with 100 grams of sugar a day and then went down from there. (sounds like a lot but one yoplait reg yogurt has 27 grams and sugar is hidden in most of our food). This limit would also let me have like one small treat a day if I was careful with my other foods.

And it works! Using this after I had Natalie I lost 30 pounds. I'm gearing myself up to do it again.

I assume you're just doing added sugars/corn syrups? Not natural ones like in fruit?

Some things that helped were finding jams made from fruit and fruit juice, keep fruit around for your sweet tooth- (oranges and berries start tasting very sweet), and not buying any food that had sugar or corn syrups in the first 5 ingredients. And having a super healthy breakfast like oatmeal or other hot grain cereal. My will power is best in the morning. Also I learned to love very very dark chocolate (like 70%+).

Again- Good luck!

Shantel said...

I am impressed! Just so you know, our family blog is now private. If you would be interested in an invite, email us at gnsengland@gmail.com.

Allie said...

Hey!! Its been forever since weve seen you guys! how are you doing? I miss the old days hanging out and playing games. Your little boy is adorable! Hope everything is going well!!