Carson's New Favorite Thing.....BOTTLES!
We started supplementing Carson with formula since he wasn't getting enough to eat with just nursing and now all he wants to do is drink from a bottle! It's a fight to get him to nurse at all anymore. Has this happened to anyone else? I wanted to keep nursing him "part time" for awhile longer, but I'm not sure if I should force it on him or just go with the flow and let him finish weening himself off. Any suggestions?
We started supplementing Carson with formula since he wasn't getting enough to eat with just nursing and now all he wants to do is drink from a bottle! It's a fight to get him to nurse at all anymore. Has this happened to anyone else? I wanted to keep nursing him "part time" for awhile longer, but I'm not sure if I should force it on him or just go with the flow and let him finish weening himself off. Any suggestions?

3 comments:
Well good job for nursing him for the first little while. It really does take alot. The most important thing is that he got the colostrum and antibodies from you when he needed them the most. I think that it takes both of you wanting to nurse to keep going, but then again he might just be going through a phase. It really is up to you and how you feel about it. Good luck with your decision.
Natalie goes back and forth between preferring a bottle and preferring the breast. Sometimes she will just fight me to nurse, and other times she refuses a bottle. But to make sure we keep breastfeeding I never give her a bottle, unless I'm away, and then it's usually expressed breast milk. If she fights me, we just stop eating and wait a couple hours til she's REALLY hungry.
I'm one of those moms who believes that your body has the capacity to feed your baby. I didn't have enough milk around 2 months and was supplementing some, but I decided to take away all the bottles and it was rough for a couple days, nursing every hour and a half or so, but that really brought my milk in- now I leak everywhere. :) So if you wanted to keep up your milk you could try that- or pump and give him expressed milk from the bottle, or even a mix of expressed milk and formula. Have you started him on cereal yet? I think we'll wait til about 6 months (after we move) to get Natalie started on solids.
But remember whatever you choose that it's your choice and it's okay to bottle feed. Nobody should judge you for that, and Carson will still grow healthy and strong. (sorry for the forever long comment)
I wouldn't totally rely on formula. If he seems like he isn't getting enough, then maybe it is a good time to start him on rice cereal. They say you can introduce it between 4-6 months. Maybe he needs to start on the beginnings of solids, would be my suggestion.
Post a Comment